MSO7175 - Deserted farm of Lancecombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
Lancecombe Mine and deserted farm are recorded in the Somerset SMR.  Lancecombe Farm is shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889.  Lancecombe farm is now completely deserted and most traces of it obliterated. It lay on the eastern side of an un-named stream at SS 9441 3586. All that survives on the site are the remains of a building at SS 9439 3586, lying on the eastern bank of the stream. It is a rectangular structure defined by stony banks 1.1 m wide and 0.3 m high, being some 4 m wide and of unknown length.  Fragmentary remains of the farm were visible on vertical aerial photographs. A sub-square enclosure, partially marked on the OS map, is visible at SS 9440 3584. Linear ditches, probably drainage features are visible to the east at SS 9485 3585.  The 1840 Tithe Map shows that 'Landscombe' farm had two buildings, on a much smaller scale. 
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR 29 Sep 1986.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46.16.
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 16 Oct 97 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. SCC CS969 4883 and 9696 05-NOV-1981.
- <5> SMO6667 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NW.
- <6> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9435.
- <7> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3343.
- <8> SSO258 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 95. 8754.
- <9> SSO677 Map: 1838. Exton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <10> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 93.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9441 3583 (58m by 108m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1089168 (Original Monarch entry: 1089168)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO558
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11299
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW30
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1089168
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33641
Record last edited
Jul 30 2018 10:07AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.