MSO7170 - 20th Century building remains north of Broad Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The remains of a post-medieval building on the north side of Broad Lane has been noted on aerial photographs. [1,2] At SS 93436 33760 is a small barn, constructed with timber and corrugated iron. The earthwork remains of an enclosure 20 by 15 metres are discernible in the rank vegetation.  The building and enclosure are not marked on the Exton Tithe Map of 1838  or the Ordnance Survey 25 inch 1st Edition map of 1889.  The building and enclosure are depicted on the current large scale mapping of the area, suggesting that they are of 20th Century origin.  The features are also not shown on the 2nd Edition mapping.  The 2010 aerial photograph shows that the small barn mentioned above appears to be ruinous. 
- <1> SSO256 Aerial photograph: 1971. HSL.UK.71-177 Run 93. 8722.
- <2> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9333.
- <3> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1997.
- <4> SSO677 Map: 1838. Exton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 57 (8).
- <6> SEM7722 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1973. 1:2500. 1:25,000. SS 9333.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 57(8).
- <8> SMO677 Photograph: C. P39519. B/W.
- <9> SSO1629 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NW.
- <10> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 19 December 2012.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9345 3376 (79m by 56m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1095097 (Original Monarch entry: 1095097)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11859
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW28
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1095097
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34437
Record last edited
Dec 6 2016 11:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.