MSO7163 - Post-medieval industrial complex south of Triscombe Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
A curious building 200 metres south of Triscombe Farm. It consists of a central chamber roofed with concrete and divided by firebars a third of the way up. Two arched openings lead into the lower part, the upper being accessed through a rectangular iron door. There are also two small rectangular vents below and on either side of the door. The building is set into a bank with a chimney at the rear which must lead into the lower chamber although this is not visible because of debris. On either side are open fronted shelters roofed with corrugated iron. The style of the building and comparison with other farm buildings suggests a C19 date. A local woman states that it was disused by 1914 and no known use or parallels can be suggested.  SS 920 375. "A small square, stone building with fire-bars, a back chimney, a flat cemented roof and an iron plate door. On each side is a corrugated iron roof lean-to…….Whether the building functioned on the principle of a kiln or an oven remains unknown."  The building is as described by , except that the iron door has now been removed. The function of the building remains unknown and local suggestions vary: a small lime kiln; an incinerator; a smithy. All seem inadequate interpretations. It is clear that the building is not shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition mapping of 1889 , and that  refers to local information that it was out of use by 1914. It was therefore very short lived. The builder of the structure was clearly the affluent owner of Triscombe Farm who appears to have carried out other improvements at the end of the 19th century. [4,5] The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps show a complex of features at SS 920 376. This includes a building at SS 9203 3762, with a small enclosure to the southwest and a pond beyond at SS 9201 3760. To the northeast is a square pond at SS 9204 3762. [6,7] Modern MasterMap data shows the building is still extant and the ponds are also still present. The stone building mentioned above appears to be sited at SS 9205 3763, matching the plan form provided by Warren in . It may or may not be associated with the building and ponds to the southwest. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. D Warren, 1977.
- <2> SMO5399 Serial: Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. 1976-1981. Journal of the Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. p43.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset 46(11).
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 November 1997.
- <5> SSO1871 Survey: RCHME. 1997. Exmoor survey. NMR site SS 93 NW58.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, Somerset 46(11).
- <8> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9205 3763 (7m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1105231 (Original Monarch entry: 1105231)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12630
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NW58
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1105231
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35841
Record last edited
Apr 9 2018 3:30PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.