MSO7159 - Burrowhead Field, north of Exton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
[Centred SS 926340] Burrowhead  No trace of a barrow on the ground or on APs.  The field name "Burrowhead" was recorded from the Exton tithe map of 1838.  The field lies on a very steep, south facing slope, on the side of a combe. There is nothing to suggest a prehistoric burial mound, although at the top of the field natural rock outcrops give the appearance of a possible mound. There is a lot of animal burrowing in the area. This field is currently under pasture.  This area was investigated during the Brendon Hills Mapping Project. There was no sign of any man-made mound on any of the available aerial photographs.  OSAD map has "Burrowhead - no trace of a barrow either on the ground or on APs ". 
- <1> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Exton Tithe Map 1838.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GHP 11-AUG-65.
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Riley H 1997 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <5> SMO7037 Unpublished document: DYER, CAD. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment. Carolyn Dyer/15-MAY-1998/Brendon Hills Mapping Project.
- <6> SSO1632 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93SW.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 926 340 (284m by 218m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36714 (Original Monarch entry: 36714)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO208
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11297
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36714
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33639
Record last edited
Dec 13 2012 2:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.