MSO7150 - Swap Hill Standing Stone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A standing stone to the north north of Swap Hill stone setting. Originally included as part of that setting. The stone is 0.3 metres high and part has split off on the west side.  SS 8051 4266. A standing stone and a split fragment from the standing stone 200 metres southeast of the Long Combe sheep pen. The stone is a slab orientated north west to south east and is 230mm high, 330mm long and 96mm wide.  The stone could not be located during the 2009 or 2015 Scheduled Monument Condition Surveys. It was suggested that the given grid reference may be incorrect. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Site visit report, R McDonnell, 23 July 1982.
- <2>XY SEM340834 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Various. Scheduled Monument Notification. English Heritage Record Form, 24 November 1995. [Mapped feature: #42317 Last reported location of standing stone, ]
- <3> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <4> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1067092, Extant 29 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8051 4266 (point) Grid reference may be incorrect|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1067092 (Pastscape entry: 1067092)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12310
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW136
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1067092
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35439
Record last edited
Jun 29 2021 9:29AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.