MSO7143 - Possible post-medieval peat drying platforms near White Ladder Stone Row (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
61 mounds plotted in the area of White Ladder stone row. Part in Devon.  A scattered group of amorphous and irregular-shaped mounds lie on peat under rough grassland and reeds in reclaimed moorland which has been disturbed by random digging and drainage work.They occupy an area approximately 500 metres by 250 metres at about 460 metres Ordnance Datum on a northeast facing slope. They vary in size from 1.2 metres across, 0.2 metres high to 5.8 metres long, 2.8 metres wide and 0.5 metres high. They appear to be composed of a peat/soil mixture. Some have traces of a slight ditch around the perimeter and many have been damaged or disturbed. The area has been ploughed and drained at some time; the remains of probable field drains are visible as stony lines on the ground and on aerial photographs . The origin(s) and function(s) of this scattered group of mounds are unclear. Some may be natural upcast mounds and others resemble vestiges of peat drying platforms.  In private ownership.  The map provided by Eardley-Wilmot in 1986 shows that the mounds are spread over a wide area across both sides of the County boundary. The mapping for this record has therefore been amended to reflect this information. [4,5]
- <1>XY SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. Eardley-Wilmot, 1986, Somerset Sites and Monuments Record. [Mapped feature: #38958 ]
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . AF/94 IRFC/880 Exmoor Run 2 No:0900 (6 October 1994).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 August 1995.
- <4>XY SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN35320. [Mapped feature: #38958 ]
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 18 March 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7323 3725 (683m by 779m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1050176 (Pastscape entry: 1050176)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS73NW/524/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12255
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW40
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1050176
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35320
Record last edited
May 4 2020 10:48PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.