MSO7140 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Mounds(2) (Probably natural) SS 7278 4350 and SS 7278 4345. Two turf-covered mounds each 3m in diameter and 0.3m high. They cannot be positively identified as barrows and could be clearance mounds (1). A SS 7278 4350 and B SS 7278 4345. Two turf-covered earthen mounds, each about 2-3m diameter and 0.2 - 0.3m high. No stone content was revealed by probing so it is unlikely that they are stone clearance heaps. These mounds are similar to many on Exmoor, their origin is obscure, though the possibility that they are prehistoric cannot be entirely excluded. (1-2)
- <1> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. Fletcher M J 4-FEB-75 Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigator 1.
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Sainsbury I S 4-MAY-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7278 4347 (0m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044755 (Pastscape entry: 1044755)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW162
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044755
Record last edited
Mar 27 2018 1:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.