MSO7139 - Post-medieval mining activity in The Chains Valley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7492 4191. A linear trial trench situated on sloping ground to the southwest side of a small headstream to the south of the Chains Valley. It consists of a linear depression, about 30 metres northeast to southwest, 2 metres wide and 0.7 metres deep embanked on both sides by linear spoil heaps each about 4 metres wide and 0.7 metres high. Possibly late 19th Century.  Rectified aerial photographs provide a National Grid Reference of SS 7495 4187.  The feature is visible on aerial photographs taken in 2017, and in 1946-8. [3,4]
- <1>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 July 1995. [Mapped feature: #31023 ]
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, Somerset HER, 23 October 2002.
- <3> SEM8520 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2017. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7494 4187 (19m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044530 (Pastscape entry: 1044530)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12395
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW161
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044530
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35590
Record last edited
Oct 7 2020 10:30AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.