MSO7132 - Post-medieval boundary stone at Broad Mead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Boundary Stone SS 71709 41727 An upright stone, a pointed rectangular quartz granular post 0.5 metres high and 0.3 metres by 0.2 metres, set in a concrete base. It is now loose in an erosion hollow. This stone is not shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey map nor on the revision of 1902  however it is situated on the Devon/Somerset County Boundary (also the Forest of Exmoor boundary) and is almost certainly a boundary marker. Surveyed at 1:2500. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890 (Surveyed 1888), Devon 7(13).
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904 (Revised 1902), Devon 7(13).
- <3>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 29 March 1995. [Mapped feature: #46973 ]
|Grid reference||SS 7170 4172 (point) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044369 (Pastscape entry: 1044369)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12388
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW150
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044369
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35583
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 2:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.