MSO7131 - Post-medieval boundary stone at Broad Mead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Boundary Stone (Fallen) SS 71718 41463. A flat quartz stone slab, 0.7 metres northwest to southeast by 0.5 metres, protruding 0.1 metres out of the turf. This is a fallen boundary stone, a marker for the Devon/Somerset County Boundary as well as the Forest of Exmoor which also lies at the western edge of the packhorse track or hollow-way route from Lynton to South Molton (MMO495). It is shown on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map  (surveyed in 1888) annotated "B.S." but not on the 1904  revision. Surveyed at 1:2500.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890 (Surveyed 1888), Devon 7(13).
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904 Revision, Devon 7(13).
- <3>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 29 March 1995. [Mapped feature: #46974 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1044367, Extant 12 October 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7171 4146 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044367 (Pastscape entry: 1044367)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE12870
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12387
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW149
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1044367
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35582
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 2:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.