MSO7122 - Hoar Oak Boundary Stone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7473 4301 A boundary stone near the Hoar Oak Tree.  McDermot quotes from a perambulation of 16 Sep 1815 (to define the boundary of the Forest of Exmoor at the time of the Inclosure Act) which mentions a 'Boundary Stone on the left or north side of the tree called Hoar Oak'.  SS 74742 43016. A tree symbol, annotated 'Hoar Oak Tree', is shown between the stream and the boundary bank on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map (surveyed in 1888) ; however, no stone is shown or marked on this map in the vicinity. No trace of this Boundary Stone could be found. There are several stones in the natural rock gulley between the Hoar Oak and the boundary bank although none are identifiable as a definite Boundary Stone. The original may have been washed away by the stream when in spate.  Hoar oak boundary stone. Boundary stone marking the border of the Forest of Exmoor positioned "on the left or north side of a tree called Hoar Oak"  Site not located during a survey in 2001. 
- <1>XY SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch / National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry - viewable via Pastscape. [Mapped feature: #38837 ]
- <2> SEM7410 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1911. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press. MacDermot E T 1973 A History of the Forest of Exmoor 421/422.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Devon 7(10).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 September 1994.
- <5> SSO1823 Article in serial: Rawle, E.J.. 1894. Final Perambulation of Exmoor Forest. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 40. 171-178.
- <6> SEM3 Report: Blackmore, O.. 2002. A Condition Survey of Standing Stones on Exmoor National Park Authority Owned Land.
|Grid reference||SS 7475 4301 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1044132 (Pastscape entry: 1044132)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/105
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20955
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20908
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12380
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW133
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1044132
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35575
Record last edited
Mar 16 2021 3:47PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.