MSO7087 - Post-medieval lime quarry west of Simonsbath (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Burton recorded a lime quarry at SS 7566 3932.  The Ordnance Survey 1st Edition mapping shows a feature, possibly a pond or enclosure, and an area of spoil.  The 2013 Ordnance Survey MasterMap shows a pond at this location.  There are several other earthworks shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps in this area [2,4]; these also appear to represent quarrying remains. The westernmost, at SS 7550 3935 is labelled "Old Quarry" on the 1st Edition map. The area is shown as open or marshy land on the 1st Edition map, but had been incorporated into a plantation by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. [2,4,5]
- <1> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. (map at end).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset sheet 44 8.
- <3> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 10 March 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7557 3927 (179m by 173m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029896 (Original Monarch entry: 1029896)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12552
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE77
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029896
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35754
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 2:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.