MSO7082 - Bronze Age cairn in the Barle Valley (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7786 3843 on the western side of the Barle valley are the remains of a prehistoric cairn. The feature is sub-circular and measures 7.8 metres west-east by 9 metres and averages 0.7 metres high. It is largely turf-covered, but is composed of large quartz blocks, which appear to utilize a natural outcrop. The topographic position of this feature on steep natural slopes and the method of construction are both unusual features of a prehistoric cairn, however, this is the most likely interpretation. [1,2] Due to vegetation cover, the cairn described above is difficult to identify on most aerial photographs of the area, but it is visible on those taken by Meridian Airmaps Ltd in 1976. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1371 Survey: McDonnell, R. 1993, 1994. Archaeological Survey for Exmoor National Park. Field Record 219.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 December 1994.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL 76048 129 (26 June 1976).
- <4> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1029857, Extant 18 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7786 3843 (12m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029857 (Original Monarch entry: 1029857)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO468
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12317
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE72
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1029857
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35478
Record last edited
Nov 18 2021 11:47AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.