MSO7073 - A post-medieval leat on Cornham Brake (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A leat runs from SS 7589 3866 to SS 7699 3909 on the southern side of the valley of the River Barle. It consists of a channel 1.6 metres wide cut onto the steep natural slopes. Although the feature still holds water it is silted up and does not flow. The purpose of the leat is not certain. [1,2] The leat described by above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the southern slopes of the River Barle valley. On photographs taken in the mid 20th Century the leat is surrounded on the northern side by a low earthen bank, but on later photographs this appears to have eroded. The leat is also depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1889, and is shown running into an area of land marked "Simonsbath Pool". However, the precise function of the leat remains unclear. [3-5] Most of the leat is still recorded on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map, indicating it was in use until at least 1902. The leat is recorded as 'old leat' on 2013 MasterMap. [6,7]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 October 1994.
- <2> SMO5666 Survey: Blue Gate Mining Complex Ink Survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink. 1:2500, copy in HER files (PRN 33008).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F63) 172-73 (27 April1964).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7643 3887 (1093m by 440m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029788 (Original Monarch entry: 1029788)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO465
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12545
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE63
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029788
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35747
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.