MSO7071 - Post-medieval prospecting trench east of Emmett's Grange (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7597 3624 is a linear hollow or gulley running up and down the steep natural slopes on the southern side of Kinsford Water, east of Emmett's Grange. The feature appears to be a prospecting trench or openwork. It is 88 metres long and 6 metres wide and has a spoil bank on the western side. [1, 2] The prospecting pit described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs examined as part of the Exmoor National Park National Mapping Project in 2008. It cuts through several post-medieval drainage ditches, indicating it post dates this activity, and therefore most likely dates to the latter part of the 19th century. [3, 4] The earthwork is depicted, but not annotated on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, indicating the feature was disused by 1901.  SS 7595 3618, SS 7596 3627. A substantial prospecting trench had already been identified. Its relationship with the two drainage ditches (see MEM24154) that cross/abut it suggest it pre dates the drainage of the moor. 
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 October 1994.
- <2> SMO5671 Survey: SS 73 NE 59-61, Ink Survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96559 69-70 (30 March 1996).
- <4> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p40.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7595 3622 (24m by 86m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029759 (Original Monarch entry: 1029759)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO464
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12541
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE61
- National Park: Exmoor
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029759
- Report Site Reference: 382 SEM7641
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35743
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 6:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.