MSO7070 - Post-medieval adit on Hangley Cleave (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An earthwork is depicted but not described on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition mapping, indicating the site was disused by 1891.  The feature depicted in 1891 is an adit. It is centred at SS 7599 3638 in a coniferous plantation on the south side of Kinsford Water, on Hangley Cleave. It consists of a gulley, 17 metres long, 6 metres wide and 2.4 metres deep, from the upper end of which water issues. Below the adit is a flat topped spoil heap 2.5 metres high, the bottom of which is close to the bank of Kinsford Water. [2-4] SS 7599 3634. Well preserved adit situated in a conifer plantation on the southern side of Kinsford Water. It consists of a deep linear openwork, c.2.5 to 3.0 metres deep, c. 6 metres wide and c.15 metres long running north to south into the steep slope. The adit itself would be situated at its southern end but is not visible due to slipped material. At the northern end of the trench is a large, semi circular mound of spoil created by material being brought out of the adit and dumped downhill. The spoil heap has a height of c.3 metres and a diameter of c.10 metres with a flat top level with the floor of the trench. 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891, Somerset 44 SE.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 October 1994.
- <3> SMO5671 Survey: SS 73 NE 59-61, Ink Survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SSO1864 Survey: RCHME. Exmoor Survey. 1994. NMR site SS 73 NW 60.
- <5> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p35-6.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7599 3639 (13m by 25m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029743 (Original Monarch entry: 1029743)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12540
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE60
- National Park: Exmoor
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029743
- Report Site Reference: 343 SEM7641
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35742
Record last edited
Aug 19 2019 5:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.