MSO7069 - Post-medieval linhay southeast of Emmett's Grange (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The outline of a building is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition mapping of 1891.  The remains of the stone building depicted in 1891 are situated at SS 7607 3655. The structure stands on the western slopes of a slight combe running northwards from Kinsford Water. It occupies a rock-cut platform, and is approached by a terraced track from the south. The building itself measures approximately 13.5 metres by 4 metres and is in a very ruinous condition with only the northeastern or lower side surviving; it is composed of course walling to a height of 0.6 metres. The rear part of the platform has been obscured by rubble. A curving bank to the north of the building marks the extent of a former paddock. [2-4] SS 7606 3657. Substantial rock cut platform measuring c.10 metres long by c. 5 metres wide with its long axis orientated north to south. On the downslope, the bases of five piers are visible, constructed of horizontally laid, semi coursed rubble although the southernmost is badly damaged. It is likely these hold the supporting posts for a wooden superstructure. The best interpretation of this feature is as the site of a linhay perhaps, given its narrow dimensions, for sheep. It is situated above a water channel, deliberately to enable the waste from the structure to be easily pushed into the channel and delivered to the fields to the east. The building is depicted on a map published in 1856 by Robert Smith of the holding. [5-6]
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891, Somerset sheet 44.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 October 1994.
- <3> SMO5671 Survey: SS 73 NE 59-61, Ink Survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SSO1864 Survey: RCHME. Exmoor Survey. 1994, NMR site SS 73 NW ?.
- <5> SEM7568 Article in serial: Smith, R.. 1856. Bringing Moorland into Cultivation: Emmett's Grange, Exmoor. Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England. 17. 349-394. p357.
- <6> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. 505, 526, Appendix 1 p47.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7607 3655 (6m by 12m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029713 (Original Monarch entry: 1029713)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12539
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE59
- National Park: Exmoor
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029713
- Report Site Reference: 198 SEM7641
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35741
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 6:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.