MSO7068 - Bronze Age barrow with ditch southwest of Blue Gate (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7577 3758 in an improved pasture field, is a low sub-circular rise, 14.5 metres north-south by 13 metres and 0.3 metres high. The feature may be a prehistoric round barrow, although its denuded form makes a confident interpretation impossible. To the northwest is a rectangular mound and slight bank (MSO7061); the relationship of the possible barrow with these features is unclear, but both coincide with the position of a field boundary shown on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey mapping. [1, 2] This was surveyed along with the Blue Gate Mine (MSO6918) complex.  A probable barrow measuring c. 12 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres in height. It appears to have been disturbed on the northern side, possibly by the deposition of spoil from an excavation into it, or perhaps due to activity associated with the construction or removal of a hedge bank which ran close to its western side. The remains of a ditch, visible as a ring of lush grass, is apparent encircling the feature and it was apparently used as a marker to aid in laying the field boundaries out. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO5666 Survey: Blue Gate Mining Complex Ink Survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4>XY SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p42. [Mapped feature: #44319 ]
|Grid reference||SS 7578 3760 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029703 (Original Monarch entry: 1029703)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12538
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE58
- National Park: Exmoor
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029703
- Report Site Reference: 176 SEM7641
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35740
Record last edited
Apr 19 2018 11:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.