MSO7067 - Post-medieval adit on Drybridge Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
An adit is depicted on the eastern side of Drybridge combe by Burton. Centred at SS 7591 3856 on the eastern side of Drybridge Combe, the adit consists of a rock-cut opening 1.5 metres wide and 1.5 metres high and facing east. The opening gives access to a tunnel which contains water and is therefore inaccessible. Its extent and dimensions were not ascertained. To the west of the opening is a gulley 2.7 metres deep, which may be partly natural in origin, but has been deepened to facilitate access to the adit. The remains of a spoil dump extend down the steep natural slopes to the west. [1-3] 6.1.10, SS 7591 3856. Unnamed adit at the foot of Drybridge Combe. An adit thought to have been driven by Schneider and Hannay on the Woolcombe vein, and likely abandoned in November 1856. The adit turns south from eastwards inside.  The feature is visible on 2018 Ordnance Survey MasterMap data.  Site 21, Unnamed adit at the foot of Drybridge Combe, SS 75927 38545. The site was visited in 2010 and its location recorded using GPS. 
- <1> SMO5666 Survey: Blue Gate Mining Complex Ink Survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <2> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. (map at back).
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <4> SEM7068 Report: Exmoor Mines Research Group. 1995. Report on the safety condition of disused mine workings on lands owned by Exmoor National Park Department and other lands nearby. 6.1.10 p15.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #40745 Unnamed adit at the foot of Drybridge Combe, Site 21 (6.1.10)]
- <6> SEM8715 Unpublished document: Harley, M.. 2010. Disused Mine Workings within the Authority's Estate. Site 21.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7590 3855 (29m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029696 (Original Monarch entry: 1029696)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12537
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE57
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029696
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35739
Record last edited
Oct 16 2019 12:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.