MSO7065 - Two post-medieval adits at the head of Drybridge Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two adits with associated spoil dumps are situated at the head of Drybridge Combe. At SS 7583 3786, on the western side of Drybridge Combe, is a gulley running west to east into the hillside. At its upper (western) end is an adit. Some 2 metres to the west, the roof of the adit has collapsed, revealing a cavity about 1.6 metres deep; further collapse of the adit roof seems likely. At SS 7587 3783, on the eastern side of Drybridge Combe, are the remains of an adit with a substantial spoil heap, and prospecting trench. Both adits probably date from 1912 and are associated with attempts to follow 'Rogers' lode westwards towards Burcombe (SS 73 NE 10) and eastwards towards the Blue Gate Iron Mine (MSO6918). This was surveyed at 1:2500 scale with Blue Gate mining complex, in October 1994. [1,2] The adits described above are clearly visible on aerial photographs of Drybridge Combe and Blue Gate Iron Mine. However, the spoil heaps are difficult to distinguish from the surrounding vegetation. [3,4] A number of prospecting features visible at Drybridge Combe and are associated with iron mining at Blue Gate and Burcombe. They comprise at least four adits along the edge of Drybridge Combe. [5,6] The text directly above refers to four adits located in the area; however, only two are noted here and no further positional information was provided beyond SS 7585 3785, which is located between the two adits described by this record. As such, it is possible that four are present, but the record will be for two until this can be verified.  6.1.7, SS 7587 3783. Upper Drybridge Adit. Started by Henry Roberts in Spring 1911, it was intended to meet the Simonsbath Road shaft and be carried to the east to drain Rogers Shaft and follow Rogers' lode, although the adit cut Rogers' lode 300 metres west of Rogers Shaft. Work ceased in 1912. 6.1.8, SS 7583 3786. Unnamed adit on west side of Drybridge Combe. Of unknown origin but a possible attempt by the Exmoor Mining Syndicate to follow Rogers lode to the west.  The site was visited in 2010 and the following features were located using GPS: Site 18 (6.1.7), Upper Drybridge Adit, SS 75880 37837. Site 19, (6.1.8), Unnamed adit on west side of Drybridge Combe, SS 75836 37865. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <2> SMO5666 Survey: Blue Gate Mining Complex Ink Survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96507 41-42 (30 March 1996).
- <4>XY SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190. [Mapped features: #40679 Upper Drybridge Adit, Site 18 (6.1.7); #40680 Unnamed adit on west side of Drybridge Combe, Site 19 (6.1.8)]
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 October 1994.
- <6> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1099583.
- <7> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. S Thorogood, 19 September 2013.
- <8> SEM7068 Report: Exmoor Mines Research Group. 1995. Report on the safety condition of disused mine workings on lands owned by Exmoor National Park Department and other lands nearby. 6.1.7 p13-14, 6.1.8 p14.
- <9> SEM8715 Unpublished document: Harley, M.. 2010. Disused Mine Workings within the Authority's Estate. Sites 18, 19.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7585 3784 (60m by 59m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029681 (Original Monarch entry: 1029681)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099583 (Original Monarch entry: 1099583)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO462
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12534
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12535
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6936
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE19
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE55
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029681
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099583
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35736
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35737
Record last edited
Oct 16 2019 12:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.