MSO7056 - Post-medieval adit and spoil heap at Picked Stones (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7953 3778, on the eastern side of White Water, is an adit with associated spoil mound. The feature is alleged to have been constructed in the 1850s as part of the Picked Stones Mine complex (MSO6931).  The adit is shown, but not described on Ordnance Survey mapping dating to 1889 and 1903. [2, 3] The site consists of a gulley, 8.8 metres long running southsoutheastwards into the hillside. To the northwest is a flat-topped spoil mound, measuring 16 metres by 6.5 metres and 3.2 metres high. Several shallow scoops are visible further up the slope from the adit, and are presumably prospecting pits. [1-5] 8.1.2, SS 7953 3778. An unnamed adit driven eastwards by the Plymouth Company  either to prove Rogers lode here or to drain the mine above. The adit was probably very short and the entrance was blocked in 1995.  The adit is clearly shown and labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 144.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Somerset sheet 45 10.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, Somerset sheet 45 10.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <5> SMO5667 Survey: Picked Stones Mine/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <6> SEM7068 Report: Exmoor Mines Research Group. 1995. Report on the safety condition of disused mine workings on lands owned by Exmoor National Park Department and other lands nearby. 8.1.2 p20.
- <7>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46267 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7952 3779 (26m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029531 (Original Monarch entry: 1029531)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12514
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE44
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029531
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35716
Record last edited
Aug 19 2019 5:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.