MSO7054 - Post-medieval mining earthworks at Winstitchen (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7931 3805 are a group of earthworks. They may represent the remains of prospecting associated with Picked Stones Mine (MSO11016) or stone quarrying. The earthworks form a rectagular swathe measuring approximately 100 metres long by 30 metres wide. Superficially they are reminiscent of platforms, but are clearly no more than the result of extraction. To the northeast at SS 7948 3822 are further slight and amorphous earthworks which appear to represent possible mining prospecting and effaced field boundaries.  Earthwork evidence for mining prospecting was identified by the earlier Iron-Working on Exmoor preliminary survey on Winstichen. The evidence took the form of shallow pits in a linear arrangement following the surface outcrop of a lode, or back, subsequently known as lode-back pits.  Sections of the amorphous earthworks described above are visible on aerial photographs taken in 1964, with at least one resembling a roughly circular platform. To the south, clearly visible field boundaries have been recorded separately as MMO2916. [3-4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <2> SEM6912 Report: Juleff, G.. 1997. Earlier Iron-Working on Exmoor: Preliminary Survey. 30, Table 1.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 168-69 (27 April 1964).
- <4> SMO7551 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 74 NE. MD002168.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1029513, Extant 17 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7943 3816 (339m by 319m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029513 (Original Monarch entry: 1029513)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO458
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12523
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE42
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1029513
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 35725
Record last edited
Nov 17 2021 1:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.