MSO7053 - Post-medieval adit and spoil heap at Picked Stones (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7951 3787 is an adit with an associated spoil heap. It lies close to the western bank of White Water, and comprises a gulley 12 metres long, running northwest to southeast into the hillside. The adit opening which is now covered over, lies at the northwestern end. To the southeast is a low, irregular shaped, flat-topped spoil mound, measuring some 16 metres by 9 metres. A platform, measuring 6.2 metres by 4.6 metres lies on the southern side of the adit gulley. Its purpose is unclear. The adit is alleged by Burton (1989) to be part of the Wheal Eliza Mine (MSO6802), but it may equally be associated with Picked Stones Mine (MSO6931). This was surveyed as part of the Picked Stones Mine complex. [1-3] 6.4.4, SS 7951 3787. An unnamed adit on the western side of White Water may have been an exploratory level driven by the Wheal Eliza adventurers . In 1995 the adit was blocked by a roof fall 25 metres from the entrance, which itself was blocked.  The adit is depicted and labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 134.
- <2> SMO5667 Survey: Picked Stones Mine/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <4> SEM7068 Report: Exmoor Mines Research Group. 1995. Report on the safety condition of disused mine workings on lands owned by Exmoor National Park Department and other lands nearby. 6.4.4 p17.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7950 3786 (19m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029508 (Original Monarch entry: 1029508)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12513
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE41
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029508
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35715
Record last edited
Aug 19 2019 3:56PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.