MSO7052 - Post-medieval prospecting pits at Picked Stones (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7974 3727 are the remains of a trial working or prospecting pit, presumably associated with the iron mining industry (see Picked Stones Mine: MSO6931). The feature comprises two pits measuring 5.6 metres and 4.5 metres in diameter and 0.8 metres deep. A spoil mound, 18 metres long and 5.8 metres wide, lies on the downslope or western side.  The site is depicted and labelled as an old quarry on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  It is shown but not labelled on the 2nd Edition map. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7973 3728 (29m by 43m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029506 (Original Monarch entry: 1029506)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12522
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE40
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029506
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35724
Record last edited
Jul 11 2018 3:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.