MSO7051 - Bronze Age cairn on Horsen Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7899 3562, on the summit of Horsen Hill, are the remains of a barrow. The feature lies about 90 metres east of MSO6798, and forms a new addition to the Sherdon barrow group (see also MSO6799). It comprises a low stony area some 16.5 metres in diameter and 0.3 metres high. Over most of its surface are stone robbing pits and scoops, suggesting that the barrow has been robbed practically to ground level.  The remains of the barrow described above are visible on aerial photographs. It has been heavily damaged by stone robbing, but also lies within an area of extensive peat cutting, which may have caused some of the damage. [2,3] This feature is not visible on 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey mapping, but is recorded on the modern Ordnance Survey MasterMap. [4-6] A low, very stony mound, 16m N/S, 14m E/W and up to 0.4m high lies some 90m to the NE of the barrow (EHF160005) on the summit of Horsen Hill. This is one of three Bronze Age funerary monuments on the summit of Horsen Hill The top of the mound is irregular and two mounds on its south edge may be the result of later disturbance or unrecorded excavations.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North and H Chapman, 27 October 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F61) 168-69 (27 April 1964).
- <3> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap.
- <7> SEM8302 Report: Riley, H.. 2016. Archaeological walkover survey: Horsen, Exmoor. 6.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1029500, Extant 17 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7898 3561 (24m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029500 (Original Monarch entry: 1029500)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO457
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12521
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE39
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1029500
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35723
Record last edited
Nov 17 2021 1:33PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.