MSO7037 - Possible Bronze Age barrow southwest of Alderman's Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Substantial bank 0.75 metres high forming a circular feature 10 paces diameter. Possible circling enclosure on north side. No visible entrance. Bank continues slightly to the southwest. Some disturbance by foxes.  Centred at SS 8337 4220 is a mound. It comprises a sharply-defined, circular, turf-covered mound 9 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. The feature has an encircling ditch 1.8 metres wide and 0.3 metres deep, which fades on the southwest side. The centre of the mound has a sub circular pit 4.5 metres across and 0.4 metres deep. The mound has been disturbed by animal burrowing and in addition several compact low mounds, of uncertain function, are visible within the ditch. The feature is clearly not a hut circle; it may be a robbed prehistoric barrow, or equally may be associated with the use of this area by the army during World War Two. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.  The remains of roughly circular turf-covered mound, possibly the remains of a mutilated round barrow of Bronze Age date, are visible on aerial photographs approximately 300 metres to the southwest of Alderman's Barrow at circa SS 8337 4220. Due to the nature of the vegetation surrounding the earthwork, the encircling ditch described by  cannot be seen on the available aerial photographs. However, the mound and the central disturbance to the earthwork are clearly visible and have been transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. 
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, 11 March 1983.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 November 1995.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/931 (F20) 3099-3100 (8 November 1952 ).
|Grid reference||SS 8336 4220 (point) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974894 (Original Monarch entry: 974894)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO419
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11038
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW69
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974894
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33177
Record last edited
Aug 22 2013 3:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.