MSO7031 - Bronze Age burial cairn at Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A stony bank forming a sub circular hut wall, 1.8 metres wide and up to 0.5 metres high, is located at Elsworthy. The entrance is to the westnorthwest. It is 7.7 metres in diameter. There is a small stony mound to the southeast.  There are two further round mounds to the northeast.  Centred at SS 8142 4138 is a robbed cairn. The feature, previously interpreted as a hut circle, comprises a circular, turf covered, stony mound 7.6 metres north to south by 8.4 metres west to east, and 0.4 metres high. The centre of the cairn has been robbed in the form of a substantial hollowing between 3.3 metres and 4.4 metres in diameter, and 0.5 metres deep (it has therefore, removed most of the central part of the cairn to below original ground level). This operation has left only the outer rim of the cairn, which gives the superficial appearance of a ring feature. The alleged entrance on the westnorthwest could not be found. It seems likely that the comprehensive robbing of this feature in a remote area of moorland, is probably the result of the construction of the Porlock to Simonsbath Railway (MSO7906) close by.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO2093 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor National Park Field Survey. R McDonnell, 11 November 1982.
- <2> SSO2093 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor National Park Field Survey. R McDonnell, 29 November 1982.
- <3> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. P.71 (site 180).
- <4>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 November 1995. [Mapped feature: #47338 ]
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974874, Extant 6 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8142 4138 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974874 (Pastscape entry: 974874)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11013
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW63
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974874
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33152
Record last edited
Jul 6 2021 2:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.