MSO7027 - Larkbarrow Cottage and associated structures (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The large and small rectangular walled enclosures are associated with Larkbarrow Farm.  The remains of Larkbarrow Cottage are centred at SS 8175 4274. They consist of a large pile of stone rubble 1.3 metres high within the outline of the former building. The building extent can be traced as wall footings, averaging 0.8 metres high: it measured 13.5 by 8.2 metres, and had at least four internal compartments. To the east of the structure, and adjacent to the track, is a small, roofless, stone building 1.7 metres square, with walls standing to 1.2 metres high. It is clearly associated with Larkbarrow Cottage. [2,3] Larkbarrow Cottage was built to serve Larkbarrow Farm, and like it, was used for target practice during World War Two.  The remains of Larkbarrow Cottage, as described above, are clearly visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards. From the aerial photographs alone it is not possible to confirm whether or not Larkbarrow Cottage or Larkbarrow Farm were particularly targeted during artillery practise during the Second World War, but they do appear to define the southern extent of an area of intensely concentrated impact craters. [6-8]
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8142.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 July 1996.
- <3> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
- <4> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. P.225.
- <5> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. HSL.UK.71-178, Run 83, 9301 (September 1971).
- <6> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 (F20) 3103-4 (8 November 1952).
- <8> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3162-4 (11 April 1947).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8176 4273 (64m by 68m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974821 (Original Monarch entry: 974821)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO7027
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO415
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11131
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW113
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974821
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33429
Record last edited
Mar 14 2017 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.