MSO7017 - World War Two observation post at Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A roofed trench, 7 metres long and 2.5 metres wide, is revetted with conifer posts and roofed with corrugated iron. It is probably a Second World War observation post for the shelling of Tom's Hill and Larkbarrow Farms. [1,2] The remains of a subterranean World War Two observation building lie on the northern slopes of Elsworthy (The National Grid Reference given by [1 or 2] has not been confirmed). The structure comprises a rectangular hollow dug into the hillside, measuring 8.6 metres by 5.9 metres and 1.9 metres deep. This hollow was originally roofed over: a wooden framework supporting a corrugated iron roof. The whole presumably covered with soil. Traces of the timber uprights and corrugated iron survive in situ in a very dilapidated state. The structure had an excellent vantage point from which to observe the artillery target area at Larkbarrow Farm.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SSO2093 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor National Park Field Survey. R McDonnell, 11 November 1982. [Mapped feature: #38246 ]
- <2> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. P.71 (site 181).
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 November 1995.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974776, Extant 6 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8117 4160 (14m by 10m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974776 (Pastscape entry: 974776)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11015
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW103
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974776
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33154
Record last edited
Jul 6 2021 4:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.