MSO7007 - Post-medieval plantation on Woolcombe Allotment (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Centred at SS 7900 3422 on steep north facing slopes on the south side of Sherdon Water is an area of ridging covering some 2.3 hectares. The ridging runs up and down the slope and may either be narrow ridge and furrow or more likely tree planting ridges. To the east, a single catchwater leat runs around the spur towards Barcombe. Observed from Sherdon Cottage during the course of field investigation.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The site is marked "New Plantation" on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. 
- <1>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1995. [Mapped feature: #47551 ]
- <2> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 923018, Extant 25 September 2021.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||SS 7900 3422 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=923018 (Original Monarch entry: 923018)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12294
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE31
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 923018
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35398
Record last edited
Sep 25 2021 9:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.