MSO7003 - Alleged ridge and furrow east of Kinsford Cottages (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 745 373 Narrow rig ploughing in the northwest half of a field located to the east of Kinsford Cottages. The rest of the area was marked out, but never ploughed.  In 1981 it was noted that the area had been ploughed and reseeded so that the earthworks were no longer visible.  SS 726 380 Survey by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) in 1995 found no trace of this alleged narrow rig ploughing on gently sloping ground in a pasture field. The western part of the field was seen to be reverting to rough grass and rushes. [3-4]
- <1> SSO1380 Technical drawing: McDonnell, R. 1981. Description and sketch plan.
- <2> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. 84.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 August 1995.
- <4> SMO5676 Report: Field report for monument SS 73 NW 29 - August, 1995 .
|Grid reference||Centred SS 745 373 (471m by 382m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909543 (Pastscape entry: 909543)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10987
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW29
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909543
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33126
Record last edited
Jan 10 2014 2:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.