MSO7001 - Alleged earthworks east of Setta Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
SS 7260 3807; SS 7267 3802; SS 7265 3808 Two large circular mounds and one semicircular ditch, all near and to the east of Setta Barrow were seen on aerial photographs. [1-2] This site was not located in the Exmoor National Park Authority (ENPA) Farm Conservation Scheme evaluation.  SS 726 380 During field investigation by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) in 1995 no trace was found of these alleged mounds and ditch. The area comprised rough grass and peat hags. The recorded presence of earthworks may be a misinterpretation of natural features such as pools and gulleys, which have dried out in the peat. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. LHL CPE/UK/1980 3446 (April 1947).
- <2>XY SSO709 Survey: 1983. WAT Exmoor Survey. 7238. [Mapped features: #45148 ; #45149 ; #45150 ]
- <3> SSO813 Report: Broomhead, R. 1991. ENPA FCS report.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 3 August 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7262 3805 (101m by 86m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909528 (Pastscape entry: 909528)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11416
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW27
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909528
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33789
Record last edited
Oct 3 2018 1:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.