MSO6993 - COLES CROSS FARM. (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The site of Coles Cross Farm is marked by a rectangular platform measuring 20.5m by 21.5m. There are no building remains. The farm is believed to have originated in the medieval period with later additions. For details see county SMR (1).Coles Cross Farm is depicted on the OS 1st edition 6" mapping of 1891 (source 2). It is shown as a single rectangular building with two adjacent closes and a detached barn. It has the descriptor "Coles Cross" applied to it. The farm was approached by a double-hedged lane from the west (2).The site of Coles Cross farm lies within an improved pasture field. It is marked by an amorphous rectangular platform measuring 20.5m by 21.5m, cut into the hillside on its southern and western sides. There are no building remains visible. On the north side is a double-hedged lane now in use as a farm track.A new building called "Coles Cross" has been recently built by the landowner at SS 78723360 (3).
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Somerset CC SMR, 29-SEP-1986..
- <2> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. OS 1st edition 6" mapping 1891. Somerset sheet LVI.NW..
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RCHME Field Investigation, 12-JAN-1995, WR Wilson-North..
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7804 3398 (79m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909006 (Pastscape entry: 909006)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE12
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909006
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33175
Record last edited
Jan 25 2011 12:29PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.