MSO6990 - Possible post-medieval telling house at Gammons Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Reputed site of a telling house for counting sheep in and out of the Royal Forest. Small oval mound 5 paces by 3 paces with stones around the circumference.  Nothing is shown on the 1978 Ordnance Survey 25 inch map.  SS 7445 4329. The alleged site of a telling house at Gammon's Corner. The original reference to this telling house appears in Whybrow's book of 1977 . Referring to an old trackway, Whybrow states that 'it runs down Hoaroak Water, past the stell and Telling House at Gammon's Corner and onto Hoaroak herding'. This appears to be the only reference to it and Whybrow does not mention his source of information. Gammon's Corner is at SS 7445 4329; however, there is no evidence for a telling house or any building here. No trace of the mound was seen. There is a stell, some 200 metres southeast of Gammon's Corner at SS 7457 4313 but again no trace of a building was identified. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  There is no structure shown in this vicinity on the 1818 Inclosure Map of Exmoor, nor on the Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth Parish. [6,7]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. H Eardley-Wilmot to Somerset County Council, 16 August 1980.
- <2> SSO1532 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 25' SS7443.
- <3> SSO2098 Monograph: Whybrow, C.. 1977. Antiquary's Exmoor. The Exmoor Press. P. 57.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 2 May 1995.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 895580, Extant 17 January 2022.
- <6> SEM8815 Map: Kelsey, F.J.. 1818. A Map of Exmoor Forest Referred to by the annexed Award. 4 inches : 1 mile. Pen and Ink.
- <7> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||SS 7444 4329 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=895580 (Pastscape entry: 895580)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10995
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW80
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 895580
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33134
Record last edited
Jan 17 2022 8:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.