MSO6984 - Bill Hill Stone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Bill Hill Stone" marked on Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division 6 inch map.  Bill Hill boundary stone. Boundary stone marking the western boundary of the Forest of Exmoor. [2,3] SS7173 4102. Bill Hill boundary stone. Boundary stone marking the western boundary of the Forest of Exmoor . SS 71739 41024. Bill Hill Stone served as one of the markers for the Devon/Somerset County boundary as well as for the Forest of Exmoor. The first mention of it appears to be in a Deposition of 1678 . Bill Hill Stone is shown on the 1890 Ordnance Survey map  surveyed in 1888 and on the 1904 Revision ; it is shown annotated "Bill Hill Stone". The Ordnance Survey revised the area again in 1976 (although the 1:2500 map  was not published) and the stone was removed from the map by the field surveyor at that time so it presumably had been moved and there is now no trace or knowledge of it. The stone was set in a barrow not previously shown on any map (see MSO7127).  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1678 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. SS74SW.
- <2> SSO1823 Article in serial: Rawle, E.J.. 1894. Final Perambulation of Exmoor Forest. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 40. 171-178. 174.
- <3> SSO1303 Monograph: MacDermot, E T. 1973. A History of Exmoor Forest. 181(map), 362.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890, Devon Sheet 7(13).
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 7(13).
- <6> SEM7737 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1976. 1:2500. 1:25,000. SS7141 (Unpublished Surveyors Field Sheet).
- <7>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 29 March 1995. [Mapped feature: #45896 ]
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 895569, Extant 17 January 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 7173 4102 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=895569 (Pastscape entry: 895569)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 20953
- Devon SMR: SS74SW/103
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20906
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11048
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW73
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 895569
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33187
Record last edited
Jan 17 2022 5:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.