MSO6954 - Possible World War Two area of mounds and hollows on the northern end of Trout Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A group of nine or ten low, round and elongated mounds occupying an area of about 300 metres squared, southwest of the stone setting (MSO6819) and 50 metres from it. They vary in size and are up to 0.4 metres high, 6 metres long and 5 metres wide. They may be arranged in linear groups and may be related to the stone setting. [1,2] An area of surface disturbance centred at SS 7946 4313, on the northern end of Trout Hill. The area is characterised by slight amorphous mounds and hollows which probably represent World War Two military activity associated with the Exmoor Firing Ranges.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 60, Site 263.
- <2> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33358.
- <3>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 June 1994. [Mapped feature: #30154 ]
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 867263, Extant 26 May 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7946 4312 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=867263 (Pastscape entry: 867263)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11065
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE55
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 867263
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33358
Record last edited
May 26 2021 1:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.