MSO6952 - Natural surface stone at West Pinford (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A small standing stone is firm in the ground but leaning to the northwest. Other large semi buried stones are in the area. It is 0.48 metres high. [1-3] SS 7944 4158: The site of this alleged standing stone is about 100 metres northnortheast of an artificial pond in an area of rushes and rough grass. The north facing moderate slope at West Pinford has several loose and semi buried stones. 100 metres to the northnortheast (SS 7951 4175) is a similar area of loose clutch, and any standing stone, or mounds are most probably natural features.  A small recumbent stone, measuring 0.45 by 0.3 by 0.14 metres, is situated in a boggy area north of a small pond at West Pinford. There is some doubt on the authenticity of this stone, as some other surveys have suggested. A nearby walkover survey has revealed many surface stones. The stone is now nearly buried by the turf and molinia around the site.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33197.
- <2> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. Western Arch Trust Sketch plan, 10 February 1984, R McDonnell..
- <3> SMO5660 Article in serial: Fowler, M.J.F.. 1988/1989. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A Provisional Catalogue of 62 West Somerset Sites. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13 (Exmoor 24).
- <4>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 December 1989. [Mapped feature: #47241 ]
- <5> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MSO6952.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 867261, Extant 26 May 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7944 4168 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=867261 (Pastscape entry: 867261)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11058
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE53
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 867261
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33197
Record last edited
May 26 2021 2:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.