MSO6937 - Post-medieval quarrying on Great Woolcombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An area of shallow surface quarrying or mineral extraction is visible as a series of earthworks on the northwestern corner of Great Woolcombe, Exmoor. Centred at approximately SS 7708 3720 and measuring some 70 metres by 14 metres, the earthworks comprise amorphous scoops 0.6 metres deep. A U-shaped mound (which was previously thought to be circular) is presumably a spoil mound from these quarries. The stone was most likely used to build the field walls. Burton refers to "ancient" miners working the surface for iron ore at this location; the term "ancients" was very often used to refer to medieval and early post-medieval iron mining (as at Roman Lode, Burcombe). In the mid 19th Century, two trenches were cut nearby to establish the limit of the lodes of Blue Gate Iron Mine, and the east-west alignment of workings suggest that iron ore may well have been extracted here. [1-6]
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 7737.
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . LHL CPE/UK/1980 4450 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/2082 4048-49 (19 May 1947).
- <5> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <6> SEM7230 Monograph: Burton, R.A.. 1989. The Heritage of Exmoor. Roger A. Burton. 143.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7706 3718 (95m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099586 (Original Monarch entry: 1099586)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO601
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11054
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE20
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099586
Record last edited
Oct 2 2013 1:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.