MSO6933 - Post-medieval quarries around Westgate Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Earthworks are noted in this area.  An area of U shaped earthworks was alleged at this location. However no such features could be identfied during field investigation. The features lie in an area of woodland on the west side of Limecombe west of Westgate Cottages. The alleged earthworks could not be located in an area of extensive stone quarries.  There is nothing in the Somerset Historic Environment Record files or in the Exmoor aerial photograph survey to indicate the origin of this site.  The features identified may have been the remains of nearby quarries, which are visible in the area on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4-6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. 33095.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. 1995, NMR site SS 73 NW 14 (surveyor not recorded).
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, April 1998.
- <4>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #40755 Extent of quarries, ]
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Sophie Thorogood, 23 October 2013.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1099574, Extant 22 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7654 3931 (140m by 209m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099574 (Original Monarch entry: 1099574)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10956
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE14
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1099574
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33095
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 3:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.