MSO6933 - Earthworks of unknown date on Westgate Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Earthworks are noted in this area.  No features were identified during field investigation in 1995.  There is nothing in the Somerset Historic Environment Record files or in the Exmoor aerial photograph survey to indicate the origin of this site.  The features identified may have been the remains of nearby quarries, which are visible in the area on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4-6]
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. 33095.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. 1995, NMR site SS 73 NW 14.
- <3> SSO2068 Unassigned: Webster, CJ SMRO. Apr 1998. Verbal communication.
- <4> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1099574.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7654 3931 (106m by 213m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099574 (Original Monarch entry: 1099574)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10956
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE14
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099574
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33095
Record last edited
Mar 20 2014 3:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.