MSO6933 - Post-medieval quarries around Westgate Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Earthworks are noted in this area.  No features were identified during field investigation in 1995.  There is nothing in the Somerset Historic Environment Record files or in the Exmoor aerial photograph survey to indicate the origin of this site.  The features identified may have been the remains of nearby quarries, which are visible in the area on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [4-7]
- <1> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. 33095.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. 1995, NMR site SS 73 NW 14.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, SMR Officer, April 1998.
- <4> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch / National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1099574.
- <5>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #40755 Extent of quarries, ]
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Sophie Thorogood, 23 October 2013.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7654 3931 (140m by 209m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099574 (Original Monarch entry: 1099574)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10956
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE14
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099574
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33095
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 2:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.