MSO6932 - Enclosure of unknown date near Emmett's Grange (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A small rectangular enclosure which is cut by a path is visible on aerial photographs taken in 1947.  An enclosure is recorded at this location, however there was no trace of such a feature during field investigation in 1994. Earthworks were visible some 80 metres to the southeast at SS 7556 3705, as an area of amorphous scarps and at least one platform (these do not appear to be recorded separately). The platform, measuring 18 metres by 27 metres, lies some 12 metres to the north of a well established farm track. The date and purpose of this and the other earthworks is uncertain. [2-4] SS 7556 3705. Broadly rectilinear platform in hillslope measuring c. 11 metres by 5 metres and surrounded on the north, east and south by slight banks c. 0.2 metres to 0.3 metres high and c. 1.0 to 1.5 metres wide. Fragments of stone are common on the surface in the vicinity and it is possible this feature is the site of a building.  It is not clear from the above comments whether these are two separate sites (with the first one either no longer featuring an expression on the ground or noted in error) or that the site noted by  was transcribed incorrectly. 
- <1>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 7537B. [Mapped feature: #44368 SS7537B, ]
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. LHL/CPE/UK/1980 3451 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 October 1994.
- <4> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1099572.
- <5>XY SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p33-4. [Mapped feature: #44369 Possible building remains, 192]
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 25 April 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7560 3708 (82m by 74m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099572 (Original Monarch entry: 1099572)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10862
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE12
- National Park: Exmoor
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099572
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33000
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 6:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.