MSO6927 - Post-medieval catchwater meadow at Simonsbath Barton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A water meadow system is visible on aerial photography around Simonsbath Barton. [1, 2] A leat is shown on the 1904 and 1962 Ordnance Survey maps as coming from Lime Combe. [3, 4] The leat from Lime Combe is only partly shown on the 1980 Ordnance Survey map.  A post-medieval water meadow system, known locally as a catchwater meadow, is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks in fields south of Simonsbath Barton, Exmoor. This is centred at approximately SS 7682 3928, the majority of the gutters stretch across two fields immediately south of Simonsbath Barton, on a fairly steep south facing slope above the River Barle. To the north, a leat is visible coming from Lime Combe, which presumably fed water to the system. This leat appears to pass through the yard at Simonsbath Barton, indicating that this may have been an integrated system which also distributed liquid manure as fertiliser to the fields. Most of the Exmoor ‘improvement farms’ constructed in the mid 19th Century have some form of water meadow system. The land agent, Robert Smith, was considered an expert in water meadows, and constructed a great number of them within the former Royal Forest. [2, 6-9]
- <1> SEM6918 Report: Francis, P.T.H.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the "Catch Meadow" Irrigation Systems Found in the Exmoor Region of West Somerset. 38.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. LHL CPE/UK/1980 3452 & 3453 (April 1947).
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 45 5.
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. Somerset.
- <5> SEM7222 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 Map, 1980. 1:10000.
- <6> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
- <7> SMO7258 Technical drawing: King, L.K.. Annotated Record Map.
- <8> SEM7396 Monograph: Cook, H. + Williamson, T.. 2007. Water Meadows: History, Ecology and Conservation. Windgather Press. 1st Edition.
- <9> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. 55, 77.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 767 394 (419m by 462m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099672 (Original Monarch entry: 1099672)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE31
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099672
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34365
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 2:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.