MSO6924 - Post-medieval quarry and spoilheap near Cow Castle (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A round mound was noted during an aerial photograph survey. [1, 2] The remains of a post-medieval shallow, amorphous quarry or trial pit 15 metres in diameter was seen, with an adjacent spoil heap 0.5 metres high on the northeast. A fence line bisects the features, so the quarry lies in improved pasture and the spoil heap is located in scrub. 
- <1> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 7936.
- <2> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . LHL CPE/UK/1980 4453 (April 1947).
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
|Grid reference||SS 7940 3680 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099618 (Original Monarch entry: 1099618)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11059
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE34
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099618
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33198
Record last edited
Oct 15 2013 3:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.