MSO6923 - Post-medieval Wintershead Cottages (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Wintershead Cottages are shown on the 1st and 2nd Ordnance Survey maps. [1,2] The cottages are visible as a building with a roof on the 1947 aerial photographs.  The cottages are still depicted on the 1962 6 inch mapping.  The houses are ruinous on the 1971 aerial photographs. [5, 7] The area was seen to be occupied by a modern house and garden during field investigation in 1994. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <3> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4450.
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <5> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 7736.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 October 1994.
- <7> SSO265 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 77. 9263.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7747 3675 (25m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1099613 (Original Monarch entry: 1099613)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11055
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE29
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1099613
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33194
Record last edited
Oct 22 2013 2:32PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.