MSO6885 - Possible standing stone west of Aldermans Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8353 4230 Stone. There is no trace of a stone at SS 833 425, the grid reference originally given in the Somerset SMR. A stone located at SS 8353 4230, some 300 metres to the southeast, is the only stone in the vicinity. It is situated on a slight southwest facing slope covered by heather and rough grassland at about 443 metres Ordnance Datum, some 140 metres almost due west of Aldermans Barrow (MSO6730). It is a loose, though earthfast, fine grained shaley sandstone slab which is 0.25 metres in maximum height, 0.45 metres wide and 0.1 metres thick. Its southwest face has been defaced by several small drilled holes infilled with air gun pellets to form the letter `F'. It is of doubtful antiquity.  Fowler's National Grid Reference is incorrect. He applies a number 11 to the stone but subsequently, in his published article, applies 11 and the identical Somerset SMR reference (PRN 34581) to the Madacombe stone row (MSO6883). It is deduced that the stone he was referring to was part of the row, the rest of which had not then been identified.  The area was a military range during World War Two.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 12 January 1989.
- <2> SMO5660 Article in serial: Fowler, M.J.F.. 1988/1989. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A Provisional Catalogue of 62 West Somerset Sites. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 7.
- <3> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. A Preece, Somerset County Council, 1994.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 859357, Extant 10 July 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 8353 4229 (point) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=859357 (Original Monarch entry: 859357)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12231
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW87
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 859357
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34581
Record last edited
Jul 10 2021 10:41PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.