MSO6880 - Lanacombe Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 800 432 (roughly). Exmoor 26. Lanacombe Burrow shown on map of 1819 . On Oare boundary? Indicated by Grinsell as 'doubtfull or rejected'.  In the perambulation of Exmoor Forest in September 1815 the boundary was described as passing in "an easterly direction along several Boundary Stones through a place called Lannicombe Burrow". Both the 1816  and 1819  maps show and name Lanacomb Burrow on the boundary at about SS 800 432. An enclosure wall around the boundary of the former Exmoor Forest was constructed in 1820-4 and it is possible material from Lanacombe Barrow was used in that. [2,3,4]
- <1> SEM7674 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Nat. 113. 13, 17, 33.
- <2> SEM7410 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1911. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press. 422, 429-30.
- <3> SEM7231 Monograph: Orwin, C.S.. 1929. The Reclamation of Exmoor Forest. Oxford University Press. 1st Edition. Map opposite 20.
- <4> SSO1719 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. SS84SW.
|Grid reference||SS 799 432 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36305 (Original Monarch entry: 36305)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12011
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW46
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36305
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 34803
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.