MSO6876 - Post-medieval or modern mound southeast of Beckam Hill Stone Setting (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 80654236. A small steep sided, round mound was recorded 12.0m S of the stone setting (MSO6862) at Beckham in 1981. It is 4.0 metres in diameter, 0.8 metres high and is covered in rushes. [1,2] Surveyed in 1989 at 1:100 scale.  Centred at SS 8063 4237, 16 metres southsoutheast of the stone setting MSO6862, is a mound. It is largely as described by , and appears to be post-medieval or modern in date. 
- <1> SMO5615 Monograph: McDonnell, R.. Notes and Sketch Plans on the: Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A New Survey for Management Purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Site visit report, 22 July 1982.
- <2> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Volume 126 (1982) "Somerset Archaeology 1981", 63 (I Burrow et al).
- <3> SMO5658 Monograph: Quinnell, N.V. + Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A New Survey for Management Purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 46.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 15 December 1995.
|Grid reference||SS 8063 4236 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36301 (Pastscape entry: 36301)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10997
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW42
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36301
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33136
Record last edited
Feb 13 2015 1:55PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.