MSO6864 - Mound at Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
There is a bowl barrow at SS 80184115, (Grinsells Exmoor No 5a); it is 8 paces across and one foot high. (1) This feature is at SS 80174112. It is an amorphous mound of peat and stones and appears most unlikely to be a barrow. (2) Exmoor 5a. Possible bowl barrow, details as Authy 1. Found by Grinsell 24th April 1962 on swaled heath, but listed as 'doubtful or rejected'. (3)
- <1> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. W Somer Barrows Mss (L V Grinsell).
- <2> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 GHP 08-JUL-65.
- <3> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8017 4111 (6m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36267 (Pastscape entry: 36267)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW23
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36267
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33056
Record last edited
Nov 18 2010 3:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.