MSO6844 - Twizzle Mark Stone (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
(SS 71704192) Twizzle Mark Stone (NAT)  The Twizzle Mark Stone was a boundary stone between Exmoor Forest and Devon at the junction of the commons of the manors of Chollacombe Regis and Chollacombe Raleigh. It is first mentioned in a law suit in 1678 when the spelling was given as Twizill and Twizzell (). In the Perambulation of Exmoor Forest in 1815 it is Twizzel and on the Enclosure Map of 1819 Twizzle Mark Stone.  SS71697 41912. The Twizzle Mark Stone a boundary marker for the Devon/Somerset County Boundary as well as the Forest of Exmoor, first mentioned in 1678 . It was also situated at the western edge of the packhorse track/hollow-way route from Lynton to South Molton. It is shown annotated Twizzle Mark Stone on the 1888 Ornance Survey map () but not on the revision of 1902 (). There is now no trace of this stone; however, it may still be in situ, hidden within the wall junction or moved (see MSO7133). 
- <1> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1891.
- <2> SEM7410 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1911. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press. 362, 421, 432.
- <3> SMO5303 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Map Collection Reference . Corr 6 inch and notes (OGS Crawford 1927).
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1890 (Surveyed 1888), Devon Sheet 7(13).
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904 (Revised 1902),Devon Sheet 7(13).
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7169 4191 (point) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRAYFORD, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35491 (Original Monarch entry: 35491)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74SW/54
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12262
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1323
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20336
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12370
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW55
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35491
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35559
Record last edited
Feb 2 2021 4:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.