MSO6821 - (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
(SS 79634269) Hut Circle (NR) (1) This is not a hut circle but a small cairn. (2) SS 79624270. Exmoor 24. Round barrow listed 4 paces diameter and 1 ft high, with reference to Authy 1. Visited 24 July 1969. (3) SS 79624270. Supposed hut circle. A circular stone heap 12 ft in diameter, and 1 ft high. "Probably associated with a 'Settlement' which includes a stone setting of six stones in two rows of three" (SS 74 SE 7). (4) A small grass covered stony mound 3.0m in diameter and 0.4m in height. Possibly a cairn; certainly not a hut. Grinsells attempt to associate it with the stone setting nearby is very tenuously based. Surveyed at 1:2500 on PFD. (5) A well defined, turf-covered, prehistoric cairn centred at SS 7963 4269, some 45m south-west of a stone setting (SS 74 SE 7). The cairn is 3.5m in diameter and 0.4m high. Some stones are visible on the mound, and a number lie close to the edge of the feature, reminiscent, but not indicative, of a kerb. The top of the mound tapers to the south, perhaps suggesting that material has been removed from it. This cairn is of similar size and form to SS 74 SE 35.The proximity of the cairn to the stone setting (SS 74 SE 7), is significant: the association of cairns and settings has been noted elsewhere (see SS 74 SE 93). (6) A single grid of twenty metres magnetometer and resistivity survey was carried out across the feature. High resistance supports the interpretation that the mound is a cairn. Magnetometry revealed an area of burning, possibly due to a pyre or cremation deposit within the body of the mound. (10)
- --- SMO1273 Photograph: STONE SETTING STANDING STONE AT EXMOOR. 207/J/8. B/W.
- --- SMO1383 Photograph: STONEY MOUND - POSSIBLE CAIRN AT EXMOOR FROM SOUTH. OS65/F191/5. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1905.
- <2> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions.
- <3> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society.
- <4> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited.
- <5> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 MJF 03-FEB-75.
- <9> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. RCHME Field Investigation, 16-JUN-1994, WR Wilson-North.
- <10> SEM7075 Report: Gillings, M., Pollard, J. + Taylor, J.. 2005. Topographic and Geophysical Survey at the Stone Settings of Tom's Hill and East Pinford, Exmoor. P. 13-14.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7962 4268 (3m by 1m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35225 (Pastscape entry: 35225)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE8
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35225
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33042
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 2:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.