MSO6818 - Possible prehistoric standing stones on Hoar Tor (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
[SS 7636 4289] Stones (TI).  Two stones, probably set stones, on Hoar Tor. Latitude 51 degrees 10' 16" Longitude 3 degrees 46' 20". They are lying near each other and not much above ground. No trace of the stones could be found, either at the published site or that derived from Chanter and Worth.  This is an area of extensive peat digging. There is no trace of these stones.  A number of stones barely visible level with the surface in this area, may be standing stones masked by peat or natural stone.  Mr RA Setterington reported in May 1991 that he had found the two stones, not at the position recorded by  but "to the northwest and nearer the hedge".  No details about these stones are given by  or . Two stones some 0.7 metres long and 0.15 metres wide are partly exposed at about SS 7575 4300, not far from the hedge and near the bottom of the valley. They are over 500 metres from the Ordnance Siting siting and though only 5 metres apart can hardly have been so grossly mispositioned. Both are clearly outcrop stones resulting from surface erosion. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1905.
- <2> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 38 (1906), 547.
- <3> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 7 July 1965.
- <4> SMO5660 Article in serial: Fowler, M.J.F.. 1988/1989. The Standing Stones of Exmoor: A Provisional Catalogue of 62 West Somerset Sites. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 132. 1-13 (Exmoor 10).
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. A Preece, 1994.
- <6> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. MR RA Setterington, Taunton, Somerset, May 1991.
- <7> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 January 1992.
|Grid reference||SS 7635 4288 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35209 (Pastscape entry: 35209)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10897
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE4
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35209
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33036
Record last edited
Jan 31 2017 12:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.